USA Pear Export Facts
Pear Bureau Northwest is a non-profit marketing organization that promotes, researches, and develops markets for fresh pears grown in the U.S. states of Oregon and Washington on behalf of more than 1,500 growers and shippers. With international representatives in export markets around the world, Pear Bureau Northwest conducts promotional activities for US pears in 35 countries.
USA Pears are exported to over 60 countries, with 35.3% of the crop exported in the 2014/15 season. The top exported varieties are Green Anjou, Bartlett, Bosc, and Red Anjou. While Mexico is the top destination, China, Brazil, Russia, and India are some of the industry’s fastest growing export markets.
- Season record high volume for Northwest pear exports:
- 192,743 MT / 9,637,150 standard box equivalents set in 2013/14
- Increase of 9.5% over the last 5 seasons (from 2010/11 to 2014/15)
- Season record high value for Northwest pear exports:
- $218.5 million (including Canada) set in 2012/13
- Increase of 17% over the last 5 seasons (from 2010/11 to 2014/15)
- Season record high average price per box exported:
- $24.10 set in 2012/13
- Exports to Mexico reached a record high of over 4.2 million boxes in 2011/12 and have consistently surpassed 3 million boxes in 7 of the last 10 seasons (falling in 2009/10 and 2010/11 due to the impact of the Mexican retaliatory tariff on U.S. pears)